Facebook Pixel

Can you predict how tall a child will be?

By HERWriter Blogger October 31, 2014 - 9:32am
Rate This

I've heard there is a way to predict the height of a child early in their life. Is this true? If so, what's the rule?

Add a Comment3 Comments

HERWriter Blogger

Interesting. I've read that a child is exactly half their height at age two. Is this accurate?

October 31, 2014 - 11:49am
Guide (reply to Amy Villarreal)

Hello Amy,

No, this is not accurate. As I mentioned in my prior reply, adult height can only be estimated during childhood.


November 3, 2014 - 10:17am

Hello Amy,

That is a good question.

A child's adult height is influenced by a number of factors, including genetics, sex, and overall health and nutrition. Genetics and the child's gender account for 70% of what goes into deciding how tall a child will be. The other 30% comes from environmental factors, such as nutrition, exercise, and any underlying health problems.

Pediatrician rely on a reference entitled Radiographic Atlas of Skeletal Development of the Hand and Wrist written by Greulich and Pyle.

A reasonable good estimate of a youngster's height at maturity can be made knowing the child's bone age and chronological age.

Another approach is based on the fact that most healthy children will grow to a height that is somewhere between their mother's and father's heights.

This method predicts adult height by adding the parents' heights together, dividing by two, then adding three inches for a boy (or subtracting three for a girl). While this method is fairly accurate, the child's ultimate height can vary by as much as five inches above or below this calculation.


October 31, 2014 - 9:49am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.



Get Email Updates

Parenting Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!