Q: 

Do women smell different after menopause?

By Expert HERWriter December 15, 2008 - 9:41pm

Do any of you who have gone through menopause think you smell different than you did before? By that I mean the way your body smells to you, not that your nose is working differently. I always thought it was just me that felt this way, but tonight I read an article about someone else who thinks she also smells different now that she's post-menopausal.

Anonymous

Hi ladies,
I, too, have been dealing with this embarrassing problem for a year or so now. Products that have a scent to them, like Norforms and fragranced douches, caused me irritation and just masked the smell anyway. I became so self-conscious that I started avoiding being intimate with my husband. After much searching, I found an unscented product called Ladybits Hydrette Jelly that is working well for me. It helps to balance my pH, which seems to be the source of the trouble. I also started taking a probiotic supplement, Jarrow Fem Dophilus. I use the Jelly a couple of times a week before bed and the odor is completely gone. It has helped with dryness, too. These two products are kind of expensive (about $50 a month for both), but its well worth it to have my self-confidence and my sex life back.

The body changes, as hormones change. I would suspect that is the cause but what we eat, and medicines we take can change body odor. Are you on new medicines? Heart, blood pressure, blood sugar? Are you taking more pain pills? All these things can change your urine odor, which gets on your bottom, you may think its vaginal and its urine. Drink plenty of water, rinse with water after toilet.

Anonymous

I am 55 years old. I am in menopause stage and recently I am experiencing bad odor in my body that cause loosing my job because everybody use to make fun of me and I couldn't take anymore, so I quit. Any suggestion that can help me in this issue?

Anonymous

I've had the same vaginal foul order issues. I was totally stressed out. I knew that if I could smell myself, what the heck were people around me smelling? I found a website discussing the issue and a couple of women suggested trying Rephresh Pro-B. It's a supplement that balances the yeast and bacteria. I tried to order off of Amazon but for whatever reason they ended up not delivering it. I then found it on the Target website. I looked for it at my local Target but they didn't carry it. I think it's a website only kind of thing. Anyway, after about four days of taking the pill I am proud to say I no longer have that vaginal stench. Hope this helps.

Hi! Im 31 and recently had both ovaries removed. Only to find out that before this my husband had said he noticed a smell down there but never brought it to my attention. I had to have my ovaries out due to cysts the size of golf balls. since my surgery nothing. I told him he should have told me as that is not normal to smell like lowtide for a woman no matter what his friends said lol. Always get it checked. I almost died on my 31st birthday when my tube ruptured i had also had an undetected pregnancy in the same ovary. My other had been removed in 2007 due to a rupture.

Ladies I can't stress enough the importance of going to see your OB-GYN if you are having odor issues. That being said not all OBGYNs are competent enough to help you. If you are experiencing a fishy odor you most likely are suffering from a condition called bacterial vaginosis. (bv)This is an imbalance of good and bad bacteria.
The vagina needs to maintain an acidic pH to be healthy and needs to have plenty of good bacteria to combat the bad bacteria. Menopause, menstruation, and presence of semen can all create situations where your pH is raised to an unhealthy level. If the odor is primarily fishy and it is bad you'll most likely need a round of antibiotics(flagyl) to knock it out followed by some tender loving care to bring things back to Natural Balance. Be warned the antibiotics will give you a raging yeast infection but that can be remedied . A good women's probiotic such as fortify will be a valuable ally. Take it everyday and keep a good eye on your pH.
I apologize in advance if anyone is uncomfortable that this advice is coming from a 37 year old man who is not an OBGYN. My wife is much older than me and suffered these issues after her hysterectomy. Her OB-GYN was a little help to her so I got really proactive. She has been odor free for over a year.
Gardnerella bacteria is your enemy. If you have never heard of it it's time to do some research. Good luck to all sorry again I made anyone uncomfortable

Really caring man and thank you for your information. Is it ok to still have sexual intercourse? I can't pass any health issues on to my partner can I?

(reply to Anonymous)

Anonymous.....

I admire you greatly!
A caring, well-informed man that obviously loves his wife and truly cares for the well-being of others.
Luckily, I have not had these issues, but do stay informed through research so that I may be of help to anyone who may need a little advice.
I'm sure your wife already knows how fortunate she is to have someone like yourself........as I'm sure you are proud to have such a wonderful lady as your wife as well.
Thank you for your invaluable message.

As i went into my 50's and perimenopausal, i repeatedly had a fishy smell from my vagina for the first time in my life which no amount of washing could cure. I knew the vagina had to be acidic to smell healthy and the fishy odour was due to alkaline. So i realised i needed to replenish with something acidic. I ordered boric acid powder online and empty gel capsules. I filled caps with powder and inserted one in my vagina overnight and next day smell was gone. My menopausal friends, who have tried everythong else find this works really well and really quickly. Id previously had metronidazole, ph balance from boots etc to no avail.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have gone online to look this product up and ordered it online for pick up in store. The store has it but its $32.00, for goodness sake. Online it was only $16.00, so I got two boxes. I sure hope it works because I'm know I'm a clean woman but this menopause makes me feel so..."nasty" (my best description).

Tags:

Menopause

Menopause Guide