Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

I am 25 years old and I recently discovered that involuntary urination is in fact a problem. Help me please!!!!!

By Anonymous October 22, 2010 - 2:06pm
Rate This

I have been having this problem for more than eight years now and I thought that It happens to everyone because I know of people who joke about it because it happens when one laughs. I cant believe; I actually thought that it was normal for this to happen. What I never told or discussed with anyone is that; it happens even when I cough or sneeze. I am Scared to go to a doctor now because it been many years and I am wondering if I have gotten myself in an irreversible situation. Please can you explain the situation that I am probably into right now so that I can mentally prepare myself to see a doctor. Please help!

Add a Comment2 Comments

Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Hi Anon - First, congratulations for recognizing that you're dealing with a medical condition and seeking the help you need to take care of your own health. The clinical term for what you are experiencing is urinary incontinence. Basically it means the loss of voluntary bladder control leading to the leakage of urine. It can be temporary or chronic. Incontinence is a symptom, not a condition in and of itself. By working with your doctor you'll be able to figure out the cause and what can be done to treat this.

This is a common concern for women, you're definitely not alone. It's just something that's not really talked about openly, or is sometimes used in a bad way to make jokes about people. There's really nothing funny about worrying if you're doing to suddenly find yourself in an embarrassing situation, is there?

To prepare for your doctor's visit, I suggest starting with our incontinence reference page, at https://www.empowher.com/media/reference/urinary-incontinence-female
You will find information on the causes, symptoms, treatments and more.

Your doctor will want to know about your symptoms and medical history. You will be asked how often you empty your bladder and your patterns of urine leakage (ie: when you cough, when you laugh, for no reason at all, etc. ) He or she may also do a physical exam to look for any physical causes, such as blockages or nerve problems, or may want to refer you to a specialist such as a urologist or a urogynecologist.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting yourself into an "irreversible situation" as what you've described is having a medical condition that has not been treated, that's all. You are absolutely on the right path in seeking medical attention, so please let us know how your appointment goes.

Take care,

October 22, 2010 - 5:22pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

Thank you very much for personally answering to my query.
I will definitely get back about what the doctor says.
Thanks again! :)

October 23, 2010 - 10:21am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Can't Find Something?

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.

ASK Moderation Guidelines

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!