Q: 

I am post menopausal and have extreme sweating of the head, face and back of the neck. It is not medicine related. Is this an endocrine problem

Anonymous

Me too. Same thing: In situations where I used to just sweat a little, I now sweat a lot. It drips down my head, like I just got out of the shower. And I used to be able to take the heat. It seems like an overreaction. And it is not my fluctuating hormones-I wear an estrogen patch and also take bio identical progesterone cream. I am not anxious. My ratios of estrogen to progesterone are in normal range.

Anonymous

I never sweat my entire life. I am 63 and for the past year I have sweat like never before! My head seams to be dreanched all the time! Yea it is summer but this is ridiculous. Every morning when I go to the gym, I get the sweat started and it is very difficult for me to cool down.

I will be 61 in a few months. The last year, I too sweat profusely. Only from my neck up. It is so bad that I look like I've just gotten out of the shower, still dripping. Does anyone have any remedies?

Anonymous

I suffer from the exact same thing. It isn't a hot flash. That's why it is hard to get an answer. People that don't experience it say it is hormone levels, or a hot flash. No, it happens when I may normally sweat just a bit, but instead sweat is dripping from my face and neck, my hair is wet and sometimes my bra gets so wet I could wring it out. I will ask my Dr about the Drysol someone mentioned. This can be super embarrassing. I am 57

I am only 51 have not had a period in two years. I will walk to the back of Walmart to get something and once I get back to the cash register the sweating of my upper torso begins and the sweat rag comes out. I sweat every where above the belt line. I can never get out of the store fast enough. It seems like people are staring at me which causes more sweating it is horrible

Anonymous

Absolutely the same symptoms plague me. Drenched with sweat from top of my head and face. The only thing that helps is keeping my hair off my neck. I turn 64 next month. My mother had the same problem too.

My doctor prescribed Drysol and the embarrassing excessive face sweating is gone. I suffered for 10 years.

Guide

It is very likely that the extreme sweating is caused by the fluctuations in estrogen levels. Some women will continue to experience hot flashes once they have reached menopause.

When your menstrual cycle finally stops, estrogen levels drop fairly dramatically. the drop can impact a part of the brain that regulates body temperatures. The body has a thermal neutral zone, which means the body temperature stays stable even when the temperature around us changes slightly. It is theorized that a drop in estrogen levels may narrow the thermal neutral zone, so that the small changes in outside temperature causes a rise in body heat.

Researchers have also theorized that differences in levels of the hormone leptin, which is produced by fat cells, and a drop in blood sugar may play a role in hot flashes.

All the best,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Mary Ann I have been doing everything I can to find out what is causing my EXCESSIVE sweating. My doctor can't find anything wrong in.my Lab work. It seems like no one really understands how bad the sweating is unless it's a family member or your husband who it seems to be embarrassed about the matter. Your answer is the first one I have ever heard that actually makes any sense. I wanted to thank you for the information. Now I can tell people hey my hormone mechanism thing is messed up and it can cause aggression to if it gets real bad when people talk about it LOL. Much thanks Mary

My bleeds stopped at 40 Im Now 52 And Im still getting hot sweats burning neck And head. Its getting No better at all.

Tags:

Menopause

Menopause Guide