Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

I had a boil and burst l cleaned up the pass and the along on the burst area turn black and peeled of the skin and l saw a hole .what does this mean

By Anonymous October 14, 2018 - 12:56am
Rate This

Add a Comment1 Comments


Hello, Anon.

Thank you for posting.

Boils are a very common skin infection. Another name for a boil is a furuncle, and when multiple boils occur on the body, the condition is called furunculosis. Several boils joined together with tunnels under the skin are called a carbuncle.

As a boil gets larger a cavity inside forms and fills with pus. This is called an abscess. Once drained, the hole is essentially the area (cavity) where the pus had built up. It should heal over in time. If it does not or becomes infected, see a dermatologist.


October 14, 2018 - 5:14am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.



Get Email Updates

Boils Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!