Q: 

I had the measles as a child. Am I now immune?

By Anonymous February 11, 2015 - 4:52pm

Anonymous

I had measles mumps and chickenpox in 1966 and 1967 and still had to get MMR before I started the first grade in 1967? Why did I have to get vaccinated against something I already came down with ? I also came down with shingles in 2006

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello, Anon.

Immunity was likely presumed (back then) and therefore, children were vaccinated anyway as a precaution.

The chickenpox (varicella) vaccine was licensed in the United States in 1995 (released in 1988 in Japan and Korea).

Shingles, also known as zoster or herpes zoster, is a painful skin rash caused by the same virus responsible for chicken pox: the varicella-zoster virus. Even if you had chicken pox in the past, you can still contract shingles. That’s because the chicken-pox virus remains in the body, lying dormant in the roots of nerves, and can reactivate many years later. It’s not clear why the virus reawakens — in some people it never does — but researchers believe that the virus is triggered as the immune system weakens with age or in conditions of stress.

Helena

Tags:

Measles

Measles Guide