Q: 

I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

I'm Having Menstrual Bleeding for 3 Weeks. What's the cause?

Image via Unsplash

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having my menstrual cycle for 3 weeks to 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Why am I having a 3 week menstrual cycle? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Anonymous

I am 19 years old. I am virgin but having periods from 35 days.. Its heavy bleeding nd huge clots . Am very dstrbd what should i do?

I would recommend you go see your obgyn. I was having the same issue. I was eventually diagnosed with PCOS. I was really big when I was having periods for over a month. After losing almost 40 pounds, my period went back to normal.

Hello Anon

Thank you for writing.

Being a virgin does not affect periods. If you have been bleeding for 35 days with clots you need to see a doctor straight away. This is not normal. You may have a severe hormonal imbalance or some other reproductive disorder.

Anonymous

Hey :) Im 14 yrs old. I dont have a child and never tried to have sex. Im having a more than 3 weeks menstration with a heavy blood flow and blood cloth. What is wrong ?
-Hzkh

Hi, I have the same problem do you know why?

You should consider seeing a doctor if you can. Mine were caused by PCOS, which requires a doctor to treat (assuming that's what's causing yours).

Anonymous

My grandmother had this problem when she was younger, and it was because her ovaries were full of noncancerous tumors. She had to have her ovaries removed. I feel as though that might be what is wrong with me as well.

Anonymous

Hi. When i was in Philippines, I didn't have period since January though i have period on december its my last period and after that no more period for 4 months. Now June, im here in other country ,i have my period for alnost three weeks. :( Why? Please help coz im scared. Im just 20 years old. Thankyou

I am in the same situation. I think changing place of living, stress, foods can cause the abnormal period. I try to balance life now

Anonymous

I am 29 and happily married. Since I quit the birth control pill (we use other methods, I wanted to take a break from pills), it has been common for me to only get a period every two or three months. This time, I missed my period for two months. Now I have been bleeding for about three weeks. I *don't* see large clots - maybe a tiny one during each bathroom trip - and the flow is not heavy. There are some days when I only see blood on tissue after I wipe myself. I have only felt one or two very mild cramps. I don't have any early symptoms of pregnancy, such as nausea, sore nipples, tender breasts, etc. This just feels like a mysterious, longer-than usual period.

Hypermenorrhea

Hypermenorrhea Guide