Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

I have a year old kidney transplant and suffering from pain in my leg due to a bulging disk in my spine. What can I take for inflamation?

By Anonymous May 25, 2011 - 8:52pm
Rate This

Add a Comment1 Comments

Hi Anonymous,

Thank you for your question and welcome to EmpowHer. I wish I could tell you to just take tylenol or Motrin, but unfortunately, because of the fact that you have a kidney transplant, it's imperative that you maintain maximum kidney function. Most kidney transplant recipients have glomerular filtration rates below the range of normal for healthy individuals with two normal kidneys. To the extent that underlying renal impairment increases the risk of further reductions in glomerular filtration rate during treatment with NSAIDs (or Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs), most transplant physicians avoid the use of these agents. The risk of short-term usage is minimal in patients with excellent renal function. When there is an absolute need for long-term therapy with NSAIDs, monitoring of renal function should be intensified and the NSAID should be reduced or discontinued at the first sign of deteriorating function.

I would recommend that if you plan on taking NSAID's or other anti-inflammaroties, give your doctor a call so that s/he can tell you what dosage is safe and how long you should be taking it for. Hope you feel better!

All the best!


May 26, 2011 - 5:55am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Kidney Disease

Get Email Updates

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!