Q: 

Is it normal to have a lighter period this month?

By October 10, 2019 - 3:59pm

Hi all, I usually have heavy periods but it seemed lighter this month. I’m also sexually active and I always do it safe but lately i haven’t been that active, could that affect my period?

My period this month is brown the first day and turned dark red the next day with blood clots, but is not heavy as my past periods. It’s consistent though, that every time I pee, it drips blood and there are clots on my tissue when I wipe. It’s really just not as heavy as usual. Is this normal? Your reply is appreciated.

Hello itsSabrina97

Thank you for writing.

There is no cause for concern regarding a slightly lighter period than usual. It may just be a hormonal blip this month. Being sexually active will not change periods. Depending on your age, periods can be lighter or heavier according to your estrogen levels.

(reply to SusanC)

Hi SusanC,

Thanks for this, my period last month lasted around 4 days even it was lighter than usual.

I have another concern though. i usually have a 29-34 day cycle, But this November, I’m bleeding or spotting as early as day 24, which is today. I had sex two times this month and both were done super safely (condom + pull out + no leakages) like I always do. Should I be concerned? I’m not sure why my body is acting this way. Could it be hormones? Thanks

HERWriter Guide (reply to itssabrina97)

Hello again!

We can only speculate as to why you are spotting. Hormonal changes, stress or lifestyle changes are the usual causes. Many women find their cycles change over the course of a few months and their new cycle is their new normal. The body does not work like clockwork and changes in body chemistry happen all the time. The body is a leaving, breathing organism that is very sensitive to the environment - the one inside the body, as well as outside. Again, pregnancy should not be a concern.

(reply to SusanC)

Hi Susan, thanks again for replying and for your patience. :) I’ve been bleeding for almost 4 days now, though my napkin doesn’t seem to get full and sometimes there’s blood dripping and then none then there’s blood again, shade of brown, dark, and bright red. A lighter flow again this month. I guess it’s still safe to consider this my period? Also, is there a way to know if my hormones are imbalanced? Thanks :)

HERWriter Guide (reply to itssabrina97)

Hello again

This sounds like a normal period, even if it's not your usual kind.

A blood test can determine if hormones are imbalanced.