Is it normal for a period to stop after using a tampon?

My period started and I had horribly painful cramps I could barely move and everything felt numb. Later that day I went swimming and put a tampon in I normally have a pretty heavy flow and there was quite a bit of blood when I removed the tampon but after that there was no more bleeding its been a few days now and the regular bleeding still hasn't come back only some mucus like stuff. Is this normal? Or is it bad?

Hello, Anon.

Thank you for your post.

It could be you had a light period or your period might resume again. But a tampon would not stop your period.