Is it serious?

I am 18 years old. I have just come on to my period after missing a months. When I went to the toilet i pulled out 2 bloody what looked like flabs of flesh my mum said it looked like it might be a blood clot due to missing a period. Should I be concerned?

Hi, Anon.

Thank you for your post.

During menstruation, the thick lining of your uterus (womb) breaks away. As you menstruate, anticoagulants are released that break down thick menstrual blood before it leaves your body. During a heavy flow, blood is expelled faster and the anticoagulants may not have enough time to break down the blood and the result can be these clots. I would not be worried if otherwise, your period(s) has been normal. If you are concerned, check in with your doctor for your peace of mind.