Facebook Pixel

Lactose intolerant, but, I may still be able to drink it?

By June 18, 2011 - 5:24pm
Rate This

I didn't go to the doctors to figure out if I'm lactose intolerant, but every time I drink milk I would have all the symptoms for it and end up on the toilet for a few hours. I wasn't lactose intolerant when I was younger though. However, the other day I went to Starbucks and got a Vanilla Creme, which is basically steamed milk with vanilla syrup ( I looked it up). However, that day I had no trouble drinking it and had none of the symptoms that usually appear. I was wondering, if that was just a fluke or maybe steamed milk is still okay for me to drink?

Add a Comment4 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

Hi again,
Yes, there is testing for lactose intolerance, it is called a hydrogen breath test. As for the allergy information I provided, since you were never diagnosed, I thought it would be beneficial for you to find out if it is an allergy. Good luck and keep us posted on your results.


June 19, 2011 - 10:30am
EmpowHER Guest

Hi Faithpuppy,
If you are lactose intolerant....rather warm or cold: you would still have an allergy. Perhaps, call Starbucks and see if their creme contains lactose. Your body does change over time also so you may not be allergic anymore..this happens often actually. There may not be a specific explanation behind the change but i does certainly happen. Have you ever hated some sort of food growing up but then all of a sudden, you like it now? Allergies can change the same way.

You should make an appointment with your physician for allergy testing. That way you will know exactly what your body will and will not react to. I hope this helps.


June 19, 2011 - 8:47am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Anonymous)

Actually, I'm not allergic to milk, just lactose intolerant. Milk allergy is completely different from lactose intolerant.

Lactose intolerant means my body doesn't have the enzyme to process the lactose in milk. This is why my body reacts and sends me to the washroom if I have it.

Milk allergy on the other hand is like having any other food allergy. Just as a person with a peanut allergy eats peanut will have an allergic reaction and die if they are not rushed to the hospital in time, a person with a milk allergy will face the same thing if they drink milk.

I'm pretty sure an allergy testing won't turn up anything since I am actually not allergic to it, but I do believe there is a test to see if a person is lactose intolerant so I guess I should make an appointment with my doctor for that.

June 19, 2011 - 10:02am
(reply to Anonymous)

oups! sorry, the above anonymous comment is mine. I forgot to sign in..

June 19, 2011 - 10:04am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Lactose Intolerance

Get Email Updates

Lactose Intolerance Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!