Facebook Pixel

Period problem. What should I do?

By September 8, 2015 - 1:31pm
Rate This

My period had always been light and came on a regular cycle, until about 2 months ago it's became heavy and some clots. All July and so far September my period is almost non stop. I'm only in my teens, I've not had sex, and I'm not sure if I should see a gynecologist (I never have before) or not, I'm kinda scared to be examed due to being embarrassed or it hurting, or if I should try birth control and see if that helps. I'm just tired of constantly having to wear pads and such. It's harder to deal with my period now that I'm back in school and in about 2 months I'm going on vacation and I really want to be on a regular schedule by that time. Any advice? And do you think if I went to the gynecologist I'd have to be examined? I'm nervous if I would. Thanks

Add a Comment1 Comments


Hi Xallicat,

Thank you for sharing your question with the EmpowHER community.

You should get examined by a gynecologist. As for feeling embarrassed, I totally understand, but it gets a tad bit easier over time. The exam (Papsmear) will be uncomfortable, but it's usually very quick.
This exam and talking with the doctor will help them determine a treatment to address your irregular menstrual cycle issues.

I hope this helps.

Be well,

September 8, 2015 - 1:48pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Menstrual Cycle

Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Menstrual Cycle Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!