Facebook Pixel

Should i go to a stomach specailist?

By August 14, 2009 - 5:09pm
Rate This

I have been diagnosed with IBS. Every couple of weeks i will have severe diarhea after everything I eat. SOmetimes I will not be able to keep anything down. I had burger king last night, and i have not felt well ever since. I had diarrhea 2 times last night but nothing will happen today. I have taken pepto caplets (4) and nothing has changed. I feel very bloated with severe stomach pains. to make myself feel a little better i have to stick out my stomach or rub it.( i know a little weird.. ha) Also my stomach will make weird noises and i can feel like something moving.. Help please!

Add a Comment5 Comments

yeah i know it sucks! my doctor is like an idiot and doesnt know what shes doing.

August 14, 2009 - 5:49pm
(reply to summergurl43)

You can always ask for a referral to a specialist. Most doctors are just trying to do the best they can with the information they're able to obtain from the patient. If I were you, I'd certainly want some answers, too.

Meanwhile, try the bland diet routine to calm your system, and ask for that referral to a GI specialist. Please do update us on how you're doing!

August 14, 2009 - 7:23pm

I didnt have a burger. I had a kids meal, chicken nuggets FYI. And i dont like spicy foods. I'm only 18 and i dont know what the hell im doing.=]

August 14, 2009 - 5:37pm
(reply to summergurl43)

haha! Well, don't worry about not knowing what you're doing.

Do contact your doctor. It's not good for anyone, at any age, to be experiencing diarrhea as often as you are.

August 14, 2009 - 5:41pm


Since you have already been diagnosed with IBS, haven't you already received counseling from your doctor on what you should be consuming to deal with it? It sounds like your stomach is in turmoil, and Burger King was probably not the best choice to make (even if you were that hungry).

"Severe diarrhea" is definitely cause to see your doctor. Have you tried something other than pepto bismol, like imodium? Imodium is used to treat diarrhea and available over the counter; but, in consideration of what you're experiencing, you should still consult your doctor. Plus, your doctor will decide whether you should be referred to a gastrointestinal specialist.

In the meanwhile, avoid heavy, spicy, acidic and hard to digest foods (like that burger). Crackers or dry toast may help quiet the grumbling; broth and fluids, like water or herbal tea, will help keep you from getting dehydrated.

Hope you get treatment and feel better soon.

August 14, 2009 - 5:26pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Get Email Updates

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!