Facebook Pixel

what is the best way for me to provide my 22 yea old son, who is in denial of his bipolar diagnosis, support and also take care of my mental well being?

By August 4, 2013 - 6:51pm
Rate This

Add a Comment2 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

Hi trnew,


Welcome to EmpowHER.  Your love and support can make a difference in treatment and recovery. You can help by learning about the illness, offering hope and encouragement, keeping track of symptoms, and being a partner in treatment. But caring for a person with bipolar disorder will take a toll if you neglect your own needs, so it’s important to find a balance between supporting your loved one and taking care of yourself.

Here are some ways you can help a person with bipolar disorder: 

Educate yourself about bipolar disorder. Learn everything you can about the symptoms and treatment options. The more you know about bipolar disorder, the better equipped you’ll be to help your loved one and keep things in perspective.

Encourage him to get help. The sooner bipolar disorder is treated, the better the prognosis, so urge your son to seek professional help right away. Don’t wait to see if he will get better without treatment.

Be understanding. Let your son know that you’re there if he needs a sympathetic ear, encouragement, or assistance with treatment. Remind him that you care and that you’ll do whatever you can to help.

Be patient. Getting better takes time, even when a person is committed to treatment. Don’t expect a quick recovery or a permanent cure. Be patient with the pace of recovery and prepare for setbacks and challenges. Managing bipolar disorder is a lifelong process.  Hope these tips will help. 


I’ve included a link on bipolar


 Bipolar Disorder




August 5, 2013 - 2:37am
EmpowHER Guest

Have you read the book, "I'm Not Sick", by Xavier Amadour? It is a great book about how to connect with your loved one who does not understand they are sick.

Also, please got to the Treatment Advocacy Website. www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org They have a state by state listing of laws and rules and regulations on how you can get your loved one into treatment. they also have a hotline number.

Also, I belong to a Facebook Group - parents of adult children who have serious mental illness - bipolar, schizophrenia, etc. you are not alone. They have been through what you are going through.

There are also local NAMI, National Alliance on Mental Illness Groups - that have support group meeting for parents with adult children with a mental illness.

But the immediate need... to get your son into treatment...go to the TAC website.

August 4, 2013 - 8:33pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Bipolar Disorder

Get Email Updates

Bipolar Disorder Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!