Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

what if you get bumos on your vigina ? Could it be acne ?

By Anonymous June 5, 2011 - 11:28pm
Rate This

Have'nt had sex, doesn't shave. Sometimes hurts sometimes burns.

Add a Comment1 Comments

Hi Anon,

Thanks for your question. Bumps on your vagina are not acne. You may have an ingrown hair (even through you haven't shaved-- hair still grows and it can happen) or what is known as a Bartholin's Gland Cyst-- The Bartholin's gland is a tiny organ on each of the labia (vaginal lips), near the opening of the vagina. If the vagina were the face of a clock, these glands would be found at about 4 and 8 o'clock. Normally they are invisible. They make a small amount of fluid that lubricates the vaginal lips. If a flap of skin grows over the opening of one of the glands, the fluid backs up. It causes a round swelling called a cyst (say "sis-st"). The cyst can grow from the size of a penny to larger than an orange, although most don't get bigger than a golf ball. Cysts can be tender.

How are Bartholin's gland cysts treated?

The treatment can depend on the size of the cyst, how painful it is, if it's infected and your age. In some cases, a small cyst can be treated by soaking in a few inches of warm water (called a sitz bath) several times a day for 3 or 4 days. This allows the cyst to rupture and drain with little pain or discomfort. In other cases, the doctor can perform a minor procedure in the office. During this procedure, the doctor makes an incision and puts a small tube, called a catheter, into the cyst. The catheter stays in place for 4 to 6 weeks, draining the fluid. Then the catheter is easily taken out in the doctor's office. If you have this catheter put in, you can go on with your normal activity, although you should talk with your doctor about sexual activity while the catheter is in place.

Another procedure that can also be done in the doctor's office is making a small cut in the cyst to drain the fluid. Stitches are then placed at the edge of the cyst to allow a small opening to form. This procedure is called a marsupialization (say "mar-soup-eel-eye-za-shun"). You may have light discharge for a few weeks. Panty liners should be all you need to use to take care of this discharge.

For more information, check out: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/reproductive/gynecologic/235.html


June 6, 2011 - 6:35am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.