Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

What is the name of treatment procedure for dry eyes that is irreversible?

By Anonymous September 7, 2017 - 11:30pm
Rate This

I have dry eyes & have been treated for bacterial & filamentary keratitis for both the Left & Right eyes. My Eye Surgeon has inserted plugs in the tear ducts of both lower eyelids. He tells me that if these plugs do not help produce tears, that he may have to perform a more invasive procedure that is "irreversible" once it is done. What is this procedure called?

Add a Comment1 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Hello Anon
Thank you for writing!
You need to ask your doctor what the procedure is - it's likely called Thermal Cautery. This will permanently close your tear drainage hole with a laser or cautery. You can ask him if this is what he means and ask for a full explanation.

September 8, 2017 - 6:51am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Eyes & Vision

Get Email Updates

Eyes & Vision Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!