With so much information circulating on menopause, it’s sometimes difficult to cut through the noise to glean the information you really need to know. Here’s five facts that you may not know about menopause from the president and chief executive officer of the National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women's Health.
1. Menopause only lasts a day – at least clinically speaking. That day happens when a woman has missed her 5period for 12 consecutive months.
2. Weight gain is typicalof menopausal women especially around the middle.
3. Hot flashes, anxiety and the memory loss associated with menopause are not always easy to understand. For more, visit www.copewithmenopause.com, take the survey and talk it over with your physician.
4. Women may experience vulvar and vaginal atrophy;
5. Estrogen, by itself, which is prescribed for women who’ve undergone a hysterectomy, carries an increased risk of stroke and blood clots.
If you've gone through menopause, how did you cope with it? What worked best for you?
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.