Preventing athlete's foot can be difficult, but keeping your feet clean and dry will help. Suggestions include:
- Gently wash your feet every day using soap and water.
- Dry carefully between the toes.
- Wear shoes that are comfortable and allow your feet to breathe.
- Wear sandals in the summer.
- Change shoes often.
- Wear cotton socks that wick moisture away from your skin.
- Change socks when they become damp.
- Apply an antifungal foot powder to your feet or shoes.
- Take off your shoes and socks and walk barefoot at home when possible.
- Do not walk barefoot in damp places.
- Wear shower shoes or sandals in public locker rooms.
- Do not borrow other people's shoes.