It’s not clear how polyps can be prevented. However, the following guidelines can help you stay healthy and may help prevent not only polyps but also colon cancer:
- Eat a high fiber diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables , and whole grains.
- Minimize the amount of animal fat in your diet. This occurs in beef and other meat products as well as full-fat dairy products.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Don't smoke.
- See your doctor for regular screenings after the age of 50.
- More frequent screenings may be needed if polyps are found.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2019 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.