To prevent getting or spreading giardiasis:
- Maintain good personal hygiene.
Wash hands several times a day, especially:
- Before eating or preparing food
- After a bowel movement
- After changing a diaper
- Bring bottled water for drinking, cooking, and brushing teeth.
- Purify untreated water before using—boil, filter, or otherwise sterilize.
- Thoroughly wash or peel raw fruits and vegetables before eating.
When traveling overseas:
- Use only bottled water for drinking, cooking, or brushing teeth.
- Only eat food that is adequately cooked and served steaming hot.
- Do not let children with diarrhea go into swimming pools.
- Keep swimming pools adequately chlorinated.
- Stay home from work and keep children home from school or daycare until the infection is gone.