To help prevent metabolic syndrome:
- Achieve and maintain a healthful weight.
- Do 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise at least four days per week.
- See your doctor regularly.
In addition, other unhealthy lifestyle factors also contribute to heart disease, stroke, and peripheral vascular disease. To lower your risk of these diseases:
- Eat a healthful diet . It should be low in saturated and trans fats. Also keep it low in cholesterol. Aim for a diet that is rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Avoid soda. Ask your doctor if the Mediterranean diet is right for you. *¹
- If you smoke, quit .
- Drink alcohol in moderation only.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2019 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.