Prevention depends on the disorder causing jaundice. You may not be able to prevent some of the disorders. However, you can take the steps below to decrease your chance of developing liver disease:
- Limit your alcohol intake to no more than two drinks a day for men or one drink a day for women.
- Be careful in mixing drugs, especially alcohol, with over-the-counter and prescription medicines.
- Avoid exposure to industrial chemicals.
- Do not use illegal drugs.
- Do not share needles or nasal snorting equipment.
- Practice safe sex.
- To decrease your risk of hepatitis A, get the hepatitis A vaccine.
- To decrease your risk of hepatitis B, get the hepatitis B vaccine.