To help prevent benign moles from becoming atypical (and possibly cancerous):
- Avoid spending too much time in the sun.
- Protect your skin from the sun. For example, wear a shirt, wide brim hat, and sunglasses.
- Use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15.
To detect atypical or cancerous moles early:
- Monitor your moles, especially atypical ones.
- Report any changes in a mole to your doctor.
Have your doctor check and monitor atypical moles on a regular basis. Have moles checked more often if you have:
- A large number of atypical moles
- A family or personal history of atypical moles that develop into melanoma
Have moles removed if your doctor recommends it.