To help prevent PID:
- Use a latex condom each time you have sexual intercourse.
- Discuss birth control options with your doctor. Ask which methods may increase or decrease your risk of PID.
- Seek immediate treatment for symptoms, such as unusual vaginal discharge or bleeding.
- Limit the number of sexual partners.
- Have regular screening tests for STDs.
If you are diagnosed with PID or another STD:
- Do not have sexual intercourse until after treatment is complete.
- Notify all sexual partners. They will also need to be treated.