Treatment depends on the cause of the sore throat. Treatment options include:
- Antibiotics for strep throat
- Drugs to reduce sore throat pain; these drugs include:
- Numbing throat spray for pain control
- Decongestants and antihistamines to relieve nasal congestion and runny nose
- Vitamin C (if recommended by your doctor)
- Throat lozenges
- Get plenty of rest.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Gargle with warm salt water several times a day.
- Drink warm liquids (tea or broth) or cool liquids.
- Avoid irritants that might affect your throat, such as smoke from cigarettes, cigars, or pipes, and cold air.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2019 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.