The best ways to prevent plantar warts is to keep your feet from coming into contact with the virus that causes them. Ways to do this include:
- Avoid walking barefoot, except on sandy beaches.
- Wear plastic sandals when showering in public bathrooms.
- Change your shoes and socks daily.
- Keep your feet clean and dry.
- Avoid direct contact with warts, either from other people or from other parts of the body.
In addition, periodically checking for warts on children’s feet may help prevent them from becoming larger and painful.