- Fatigue and sleepiness during waking hours
- Loud snoring
- Breathing that stops during the night (noticed by the partner)
- Repeated wakening at night
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Morning headaches
- Poor concentration or problems with memory
- Irritability or short temper
In addition, patients with chronic untreated sleep apnea may be at risk for motor vehicle accidents, depression , hypertension , and signs of heart disease.
An overnight sleep study is used to help diagnose sleep apnea.
Overnight Sleep Study (Polysomnography)
This test helps detect the presence and severity of sleep apnea. During sleep, it measures your:
- Eye and muscle movements
- Brain activity ( electroencephalogram )
- Heart rate
- Breathing (pattern and depth)
- Percent saturation of your red blood cells with oxygen
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2023 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.