Social anxiety disorder is the intense fear of social situations. People with social anxiety disorder:
- Avoid interactions with other people
- Are extremely afraid of being judged negatively by others
- Feel humiliated, embarrassed, and inadequate more easily than others
Social anxiety may be:
- Generalized to all social interactions
- Specific to certain social situations, such as public speaking
It is much more severe than shyness. It can interfere with work, school, or other situations. It also carries physical reactions.
Physical Reactions of Anxiety
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2020 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.