If you are prone to vertigo, the following precautions may help prevent an episode:
- Rest your head on two or more pillows while sleeping.
- Avoid sleeping on the "bad side" of your head.
- In the morning, get up slowly and sit on the edge of the bed for a minute before standing.
- Avoid bending down to pick items up.
- Avoid extending your neck, such as to get something out of a cabinet.
- Be careful at the dentist's office, hair salon, in sports activities, or positions where your head is flat or extended.