As a lover of all things snack-related, I’m constantly struggling to find healthy options for my between-meal bites. Instead of running to the cookie jar and chip bag, I try to keep my kitchen stocked full of good-for-me snacks.
Next time you find yourself feeling the 4 p.m. munchies, try one of these nine delicious and nutritious treats:
1. Keep apples, bananas, and nut butter in your kitchen at all times. Slice up an apple or banana and enjoy with two tablespoons of nut butter whenever you’re craving a between-meal snack.
2. A fruit smoothie is the perfect healthy and filling way to enjoy all of that over-ripe fruit in your family’s fruit bowl. Blend up whatever you have fresh or frozen blended with low fat yogurt for a balanced snack.
3. Staple snacks in my household -- carrots, celery, and reduced fat crackers or pretzels -- pair beautifully with a few tablespoons of hummus.
4. If you have a few extra minutes to prepare your snack, whip up a veggie- or salsa-filled egg white omelet for a gratifying treat.
5. If you’re saving your carbs for your main meal of the day, wrap some sliced bell peppers, carrots, and celery in a few slice of turkey lunchmeat.
6. Grab a brown paper bag and some popcorn kernels and pop yourself a snack of air-popped popcorn seasoned with your favorite spices.
7. Top a snack-sized slice of whole-grain rye toast with low-fat cheese and thinly sliced tomatoes.
8. Toast a slice of pita bread with feta cheese and oregano for a hearty and tasty treat.
9. Available in the freezer section, edamame is an easy-to-eat snack filled with fiber and heart-healthy soy.
Edited by Jody Smith