It’s Healthy Weight Week! It runs from January 15 through January 21. This health observance could not be more rightly timed as most of us are looking at eating healthy and returning to our workout regimes which we strayed from during the Christmas and New Year’s festivities.
So I bring to you a medley of healthy ingredients that can be served up as a snack for at least two people.
As the name suggests, the main ingredients of the Garbanzo Beans and Couscous Medley are chickpeas and couscous. Garbanzo beans (or chickpeas) are legumes and have a high protein content. A cup of boiled garbanzo beans will contain approximately 15 grams of protein. (1)
Couscous is an ingredient widely used in Arabic and North African cooking, and is basically a semolina derivative. Half a cup of couscous will give you 6 grams of protein. (2)
The total caloric value of this dish is 624 calories. Let’s have a look at the recipe:
• 1 cup of boiled garbanzo beans (also known as chick peas)
• 1/2 cup of couscous (pre-steamed and dried as sold in stores)
• 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
• 5 green olives - deseeded and chopped
• 1 large cucumber with skin – washed and finely chopped
• 1 large ripe tomato – washed and finely chopped
• Juice of 1 fresh lemon
• 1/2 teaspoon of salt
• 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
• 1/4 cup of fresh coriander leaves – washed and finely chopped
• 1/2 medium-sized onion – peeled, washed and chopped fine
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Take the dry couscous and soak in ¾ cup of tepid/lukewarm water. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
2. Place the boiled garbanzo beans in a large bowl.
3. Add the finely chopped olives, cucumber, tomato, onion, coriander leaves and olive oil.
4. Add the soft couscous.
5. Pour in the lemon juice and add salt and ground pepper.
6. Stir the ingredients so that the juice, salt, pepper and oil are well blended into the mixture, and that the garbanzo beans are whole.
7. Store the dish in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.
You may serve the Garbanzo Beans and Couscous Medley as a snack, and may want to pair it with a glass of unsweetened orange juice or lemonade.