Tips to Develop Healthy Eating Habits
In the quest to get fit or stay healthy - there are so many lifestyle changes that one must adapt to and maintain, including proper hydration, minimizing stress, getting enough sleep, stay active, building muscle, cardio workouts and last but not least, nutrition!! It's not enough to say you spent 2 hours at the gym, but not pay attention to your diet.
Admittedly, diet (healthy eating) is the most difficult part of obtaining my goal weight and healthy lifestyle changes. I can spend hours at the gym morning, noon and night - and have no problem with motivation, but when it comes to selecting a "healthier" meal option, this is where I falter.
For me, at least - healthy eating is the last frontier for me in the quest for a healthy lifestyle. I know it's difficult for a lot of people - so I thought sharing these tips I recently read might help!! Also, would love to hear from you - what tips YOU have for developing and maintaining healthy eating habits. (source: active.com)
1) Balance, balance, balance: 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 35% good-for-you fats
2) Steer clear of the artificial stuff: preservatives and artificial preservative stuff is a no-no. Try to eat more antioxidant- and fiber-rich foods.
3) Go green: Not just in your office and home - but in your diet too!
4) Realistic limits: Restricting yourself to 500-calorie daily diet is not only ridiculous, but completely unhealthy, and it might have the opposite effect once you start eating normally again! Typical recommendations for women are about 1200-1600 cals a day depending on size and activity.
5) Keep a journal - writing things down or keeping them in an app is a good way to see in front of you exactly what you've eaten - sometimes it's quite a sobering experience!
6) Never full, never famished: Don't let yourself get so hungry that you eat everything in sight! And, never let yourself get so full that you feel horrible. Maintain an even balance here.
Any additional suggestions?