While I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist, I know how to lose weight--and am equally skilled at gaining it back. By now everybody knows that there's no miracle drug, berry, or diet to slimming down; all it takes is eating less and moving more. In my countless years of losing and gaining and endless hours of reading and researching, I've learned a few nutrition tricks that help keep me in check. These ten tips are a powerful, tried and tested guide to feeling healthy, no matter what the scale says.
1. Drink Lots of Water, Preferably with Lemon: Water with lemon is a great addition to any weight management program. It's a valuable way to help purge toxins, speed up digestion, and boost energy.
2. Say YES to Fruit: Many diet programs encourage cutting out fruit because of its high sugar content. Fruit's high fiber content and natural sweetness make it a great way to curb your cravings.
3. Spice it Up: Adding pepper and spice to food is an effective way to rev your metabolism, improve your digestion, and even increase your blood circulation.
4. Eat More Beans: Beans, from garbanzos to black-eyed, are the perfect fiber-filling addition to your plate and an excellent sub for rice and pasta.
5. Apples + Almond Butter = The Perfect Snack: The carbs and fiber in apples plus the protein and good fat in almond butter make it the perfect, appetite-stifling snack.
6. Eat Less Meat: Reducing your meat intake, especially red meat, is a heart healthy way to cut calories. Choose to eat meat for only one meal a day and consider going meatless for one day a week.
7. Eat Breakfast: Listen to Adelle Davis and, "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper." A hearty, balanced breakfast is the perfect way to boost your energy and metabolism and ensure you don't binge later.
8. Soup It Up: Soups (not the cream-of type) are a great, filling meal option. Keep a few cans of low-cal, veggie-based soups on hand for a hearty and satisfying meal.
9. Tea Time: Tea, especially white and green tea, is packed with antioxidants and is great for digestion.