Yes, it is a no brainer that choosing the “healthy” things, like veggies and positive thinking, will better your health. Numerous articles, books and workshops have been done to promote the one “magic pill” or the “magic pathway in life” in order to accomplish this.
So, do we start doing yoga daily? Do we only drink juices? Are we able not to gossip about everything and everyone? This is unlikely because in the end life gets in the way. And, there can’t just be one magic pill or pathway, since six billion people live different lifestyles in different neighborhoods and have unique backgrounds.
So how do the ]]> centenarians]]> do it? Is it only genetics that allows them to live above 100? The answer is: of course not. Thank goodness! That means that there are things we can change to increase our longevity and quality of life. We’ll talk specifically about heart longevity here, but know that by applying these strategies you will likely improve other aspects of your body and mind.
Common sense activities that increase heart longevity:
1. Vegetarian-style diet/Mediterranean diet: colored veggies and fruits, nuts, lean meats, cheeses, oil, fish
2. Red wine, in moderation
3. Faith, whatever that is for you
4. Exercise, regular cardio with strength training
5. Community/friends/social life
6. Pick local, seasonal foods
7. Stop eating when 80 percent full
8. Music, vary genres and songs
9. Laughter, as much as you want
10. Positive attitude
Here is the research that supports the 10 points above. Through a study focusing on the ]]> Seventh-Day Adventists ]]>, it was found that their risk factor for coronary heart disease was lower than average. These individuals are vegetarians that exercise and participate in their communities.