A small amount of margarine and orange juice give these yams lots of flavor but little fat.
|Serving Size||¼ cup|
|Total Fat||less than 1 g|
|Saturated Fat||less than 1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Medium yams||1½ cups|
|Brown sugar, packed||¼ cup|
|Flour, sifted||1 teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||¼ teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||¼ teaspoon|
|Orange peel||¼ teaspoon|
|Soft tub margarine||1 teaspoon|
|Orange juice||½ cup|
- Cut yams in half and boil until tender, but firm (about 20 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into ¼-inch thickness.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
- Place half of the sliced yams in a medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
- Dot with half the amount of margarine.
- Add a second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the same order as above. Add orange juice.
- Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 350°F for 20 minutes.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.