|Serving Size||1/10 of recipe|
|Calories from Fat||30|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
|Vitamin A||30% DV|
|Vitamin C||120% DV|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Servings and Times
|Preparation Time||1 hour, 30 minutes|
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 0.5
Ingredients and Preparation
|Cooking spray||3 sprays|
|Yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced||2|
|Red bell peppers, thinly sliced||2|
|Celery ribs, thinly sliced||2|
|Garlic cloves, thinly sliced||6|
|Italian parsley, stems and leaves intact||10 sprigs|
|Crushed tomatoes||1 can (16 ounces)|
|Large eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces||1|
|Red wine vinegar||½ cup|
|Pitted and halved Kalmata olives||½ cup|
|Drained and rinsed capers||¼ cup|
|Fresh ground black pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
- In a large nonreactive pan, add 1 spray of cooking spray.
- Add the onions and sauté on medium heat, stirring often, until translucent and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and celery and sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Tie the thyme sprigs and parsley together with kitchen twine. Add the tomatoes and the herb bundle to the pan and cover with a lid.
- Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring from time to time, for about 15 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, heat the remaining 2 sprays of cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, and season with pepper. Cook until lightly brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Add the sautéed eggplant to the tomato mixture. Cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the vinegar and sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar completely.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and discard the herb bundle.
- Stir in the vinegar mixture, olives, and capers. Adjust the seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature, as an hors d'eouvres, or as a topping for pasta, chicken, or fish.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 2; Meat: 0; Milk: 0; Fat: 1; Carbs: 0; Other: 0
Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. Exchanges are rounded up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.
Jamie Gwen for Melissa’s Variety Produce
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.