Scrambled Egg and Tomato Open-faced Sandwich
|Serving Size||1 sandwich|
|Calories from Fat||70|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||39 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|
|Vitamin A||90% DV|
|Vitamin C||50% DV|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Ingredients and Preparation
|Country style whole grain bread||4 slices|
|Garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped||2|
|Italian parsley, finely chopped||4 tablespoons|
|Hot red pepper flakes||¼ teaspoon|
|Egg substitute, lightly beaten||1 cup|
|Large tomato, cored and finely diced||2|
|Fresh ground black pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
|Fresh basil leaves||12|
|Low fat cheddar cheese||½ cup|
- Lightly toast slices of bread in toaster. Set aside and keep warm.
- Place butter into a medium-size sauté pan over low heat.
- When the butter melts, add the garlic, parsley, hot pepper flakes, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and stir slowly over low heat until the mixture starts to form small curds. Be careful not to overcook.
- Gently fold in the tomatoes and cook until set; add salt and pepper.
- Arrange and divide the egg mixture onto the 4 slices of toasted bread.
- Top each with basil leaves and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 1; Meat: 2; Milk: 0; Fat: 0; Carbs: 2; Other: 0
Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. Exchanges are rounded up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.
Ida Rodriguez for Melissa's Variety Produce
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.