The Skinny on Sucralose
Sucralose, better known as Splenda, is an artificial sweetener that has led to several low-calorie food choices for American consumers. Good news for dieters and the calorie conscious alike.
Splenda stands in a long list of artificial sweeteners approved for use in the United States; this list includes saccharin (Sweet N' Low), aspartame (Nutrasweet), acesulfame K (Sunette), and neotame (Neotame).
What Makes Sucralose Different From Other Artificial Sweeteners?
Sucralose is the only artificial sweetener that is made from sugar molecules. By substituting part of the sugar molecule with chlorine, an extremely stable molecule is created that has a sweetness about 600 times sweeter than table sugar. But fear not, the chlorine is of no health risk; think of the chlorine in salt (sodium chloride).
And, with its sugar-like taste and excellent stability, sucralose can be used in place of sugar in virtually every type of food and beverage. It is even available in a granular form that measures just like table sugar.
Unlike the other artificial sweeteners, sucralose is unique in that it is not efficiently absorbed by the body. Only about 20% of the total amount of sucralose ingested actually is absorbed by the body, which is a tiny amount considering the small quantity required to achieve the desired sweetness of table sugar. The remaining 80% passes through the digestive tract intact and is simply excreted, unchanged. Of the 20% that does get absorbed, only a small amount is actually metabolized and turned into energy for the body. This minuscule amount adds up to zero energy, which translates to zero calories.
Is Sucralose Safe?
Sucralose was scrutinized for more than 20 years and its safety was intensely reviewed by many authoritative regulatory agencies. Before reaching a decision on the safety of sucralose, more than 100 animal and human studies were evaluated by an expert panel appointed by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Can People With Diabetes Use Sucralose?
No artificial sweetener is allowed on the market until the FDA has deemed them safe for use by the public, including people with diabetes. And, because sucralose is not recognized as a carbohydrate by the body, it has no effect on blood glucose levels. But, as with any nutrition concerns, people with diabetes should consult their doctor for individual dietary advice.
Is Sucralose Safe for Kids?
Although the safety of sucralose has been confirmed for all people of all ages, good judgment must prevail when allowing children to consume low-calorie products. A child's body is growing so quickly that substituting nutritious, growth-supporting carbohydrates with non-nutritive sweeteners is not a good idea. Energy from carbohydrates is extremely important to a growing child's body, and artificial sweeteners supply no growth-supporting energy whatsoever. Children who fill up on empty foods are unlikely to sit down to a nutritious dinner. And, besides running the risk of your child missing essential nutrients, allowing over-consumption of low-calorie foods lays the foundation for a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits.
What Products Contain Sucralose?
Sucralose has been approved for use in baked goods and beverages to frozen desserts, gelatins, and even salad dressings.
The good news is that products that have never before been offered in a low-calorie form are now available as food manufacturers creatively develop products with sucralose. The bad news is that, much like in the case of fat replacements, a wide range of reduced calorie food choices can propel unhealthy eating habits. The wise choice is to use products with artificial sweeteners sparingly—use them as an indulgence, rather than as an essential part of your conventional diet.
American Dietetic Association
Center for Science in the Public Interest
Canadian Council on Food and Nutrition
Dietitians of Canada
Everything you need to know about sucralose. International Food Information Council website. Available at: http://ific.org/publications/brochures/sucralosebroch.cfm. Accessed May 14, 2008.
"FDA Approves New High-Intensity Sweetener Sucralose." FDA Talk Paper T98-16. April 1, 1998.
Low-calorie sweeteners: sucralose. The Calorie Control Council website. Available at: http://www.caloriecontrol.org/sucralos.html. May 14, 2008.
Last reviewed April 2010 by ]]>Brian Randall, MD]]>
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.