Velvety Yam Soup
|Serving Size||¼ recipe|
|Calories from Fat||5|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||49 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
|Vitamin A||15% DV|
|Vitamin C||15% DV|
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Ingredients and Preparation
|Yams or sweet potatoes||2 medium (about 8 ounces)|
|Fat-free chicken stock||2 tablespoons|
|Dried dill||½ teaspoon|
|Evaporated skim milk||1½ cups|
- Peel the yams or sweet potatoes, and slice into ¾ inch chunks. Place in a 1½ quart casserole dish.
- Trim the leeks, slit lengthwise, and wash well to remove all grit. Coarsely chop and add to the dish.
- Stir in the stock and dill.
- Cover the dish with vented plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5 minutes, or until the yams or sweet potatoes are just tender.
- Let stand for 4 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender.
- Pour the milk into a 2 cup glass container and microwave on high for 2 minutes, or until warm. Add to the blender and puree.
- Serve warm.
Fruit: 0; Vegetables: 1; Meat: 0; Milk: 1; Fat: 0; Carbs: 2; Other: 0
Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. Exchanges are rounded up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included.
Produce for Better Health
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © 2007 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.