A Yahoo! Health article listed some foods and beverages that may be increasing your problems with overactive bladder (OAB). If you suspect you may have a problem with this condition, you may want to avoid the following:
• Sugar and honey – Sugars tend to stimulate the bladder (artificial ones can too, so beware). Stevia may be a better sweetener for you, or you can work on eliminating extra sugars from your diet altogether.
• Tomato products – can irritate the bladder since tomatoes are acidic, even in sauces, juices, and salsas. Instead, you may want to have mushrooms, or other veggies. On pasta, try a thin white sauce.
• Milk and cheese – dairy can be a bad bladder irritant for some people. It may take some time to learn what you can or can’t have, or where you need to limit your intake of dairy. Almond or soy milk products may be a good substitute.
• Energy drinks – contain a lot of caffeine which is a known irritant to the bladder. Getting enough sleep and exercise can naturally boost your energy.
• Carbonated drinks – carbonation can be a bladder trigger, which would increase your need to go to the bathroom. If the drink has caffeine, double that. If the drink has alcohol in addition to the bubbles, it also can be a similar trigger. You may want to drink iced water instead or plain flavored water.
If you think you may have a problem with OAB, make an appointment to visit with your doctor. There are treatments available that could stop the cycle for you.
Do you have a question about your health? Check out EmpowHER’s pages. Sign-up, post a question, share your story, connect with other women in our groups and community, and feel EmpowHERed!
Yahoo! Health: 10 Foods to Avoid If You Have An Overactive Bladder
Christine Jeffries is a writer/editor for work and at heart, and lives in a home of testosterone with her husband and two sons. Christine is interested in women’s health and promoting strong women.
Add a CommentComments
There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!