As the long summer nights fade into the chilly evenings of fall, suntans and shades give way to coughing and sneezing. The first signs of the cold and flu season are upon us.
If you have psoriasis, your immune system is already at a disadvantage. That's because psoriasis is caused by an overactive immune system in which the body mistakenly launches an inflammatory response. But just because you have psoriasis doesn't mean you have to fall victim to the common cold.
Here are four ways to stay healthy this cold and flu season while living with psoriasis.
1. Eat more kale salads.
Or, really just more leafy greens and cruciferous veggies in general. Salad greens, such as spinach, Swiss chard, and kale, as well as broccoli and cabbage, are full of rich vitamins and minerals. Studies have shown that they contain special immune-boosting compounds too. Filling your plate with these nutritious foods may help protect you from unwanted viruses, pollens, and more.
Research needs to be done to confirm the link between these types of foods and psoriasis, but paying more attention to these greens and veggies certainly won't hurt. Try adding a handful of greens to your morning smoothie, or if you're a real daredevil, sneak some raw spinach into to a regular brownie recipe like nutritionist and registered dietitian Cynthia Sass did in this recipe.
2.Read more in Psoriasis Resources
- Bakker, E. (2014, May 26). Immune boosting psoriasis foods. Retrieved from http://www.thepsoriasisprogram.com/immune-boosting-psoriasis-foods/
- Gerber, S. (2015, April 8). Get glowing skin with turmeric mask. Retrieved from http://helloglow.co/simple-beauty-get-glowing-skin-with-turmeric/
- Green vegetables directly influence immune defenses and help maintain intestinal health. (2011, October 13). Retrieved from http://www.babraham.ac.uk/news/2011/10/green-vegetables-directly-influence-immune-defences-and-help-maintain-intestinal-health
- How to boost your immune system: Tips to fight disease and strengthen immunity. (2016, June 15). Retrieved from http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-to-boost-your-immune-system
- Montminty, Z. (2012, January 22). Brownie recipe with an unexpected secret ingredient! Retrieved from http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Vegan-Spinach-Brownie-Recipe-20526282
- Questions and answers about psoriasis. (2016, July). Retrieved from http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_Info/Psoriasis/default.asp
- The immune system and psoriatic disease. (2016). Retrieved from https://www.psoriasis.org/research/science-of-psoriasis/immune-system