Furthermore there are the acne-like bumps (papules and pustules) on the face.
What are its symptoms?
Very often, people who have rosacea describe how they're inclined to flush and blush easily. Temporary redness normally occurs whenever a blood vessel dilates (widens); it then contains a greater volume of blood, which produces the redness. When a person develops persistent redness, the condition usually doesn't go away on its own. For adults in the prime years of their careers, the appearance and psychological effects of rosacea can pose problems.
Additional rosacea-related signs and symptoms involving the eyes and nose may occur such as:
The eyes may:
* Feel irritated and gritty as if there is something in their eyes
* Tend to look bloodshot
* Become overly sensitive to light
If you have these symptoms, you should consult your doctor or an ophthalmologist to establish the correct diagnosis and to get appropriate therapy.
Rhinophyma is quite uncommon. It consists of knobby bumps that tend, over time, to get larger and swollen. It occurs when oil glands enlarge and a bulbous, red nose develops. This condition usually occurs in men over 40. Rhinophyma is rarely seen in women. It can be successfully treated with surgery and special lasers. Rhinophyma gave one famous rosacea patient, W. C. Fields, his bulbous nose.
How does rosacea differ from acne?
Unless acne is also present, particularly adult-onset acne, rosacea is different from acne in the following ways:
* It usually makes its debut well after the acne-prone years
* Lacks the blackheads and whiteheads seen in acne
* The pimples of rosacea are generally small don't fluctuate with a woman's menstrual cycle as they do with acne
* Fortunately, rosacea tends to heal without forming the types of scars that can result from severe acne
* Telangiectasias, the tiny, visible blood vessels, often are present on the skin
What are possible triggers?
Factors that can cause flare-ups include: prolonged sun exposure, emotional stress, topical steroid medications and various skin care products.