Are you fed up of making failed resolutions every year? Maybe you’ve planned to lose weight and never quite managed it. Let’s face it. Christmas and New Year are the worst times of the year to attempt to lose weight, with all the extra food bought and the parties to attend.
Here are a few tips to help you succeed for a healthier 2012:
1. Wait until after New Year is over before you start your resolution. There’s nothing worse than trying to diet with plates of roast potatoes dripping with goose fat staring you in the face, or watching everyone else eat leftover Christmas pudding while you get nothing.
This sets you up for failure before you’ve even begun. Make sure all the temptations are gone before you embark on your new lifestyle.
2. Don’t be tempted to buy reduced price Christmas food in the January sales. If you don’t have it in the house, you can’t eat it. Cut out all potato chips, cookies and other non-essential food items you don’t need.
3. If you find this difficult, write a shopping list before you go out and stick to the items on the list only.
4. Leave your debit and credit cards at home and take only cash. That way you can only purchase items you need to get and can’t be persuaded to buy those extra purchases. It will slim down your bills as well as your waistline.
5. Instead of having a diet based on eliminating lots of foods, consider one that is high in protein. Protein fills you up for longer so you won’t feel the need to snack as often. According to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, when patients increased their protein to 30 percent of their diet and carbohydrates amounted to 50 percent, they were less hungry and achieved more weight loss. Sources of protein include meat, fish, eggs, milk, soy milk, yoghurt, tofu, cheeses, kidney beans, lentils, nuts (including peanut butter), vegetables, grains, bread and pasta.
6. There are other diets that can help you lose weight. Some people have found success by adding more raw foods into their diet. One woman from the UK who used to be a UK size 28 dress managed to lose 160lbs and gain a boyfriend after switching to a raw food diet!