Facebook Pixel

Are Certain Vaccines Safe for Children with Egg Allergy?

By HERWriter
Rate This
Allergies related image Photo: Getty Images

The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) revised their previous recommendations concerning immunizations and egg allergy. These changes were reported in an October 18, 2010 Eurekalert! public release.

The AAAAI advised that egg allergy should not automatically exclude a child from being immunized. Instead, an allergist or immunologist can test the child to determine whether or not they are at risk from the vaccine.

The revised guidelines were compiled by Matthew J. Greenhawt, M.D., M.B.A., clinical lecturer at the University of Michigan Health System and James T. Li, M.D., Ph.D., chair of the Division of Allergic Diseases in the Department of Internal Medicine at Mayo Clinic.

Parents of children who are allergic to eggs may be concerned that administering certain vaccines could be risky business. Egg allergy is one of the most common type of allergies among children.

This combined with the fact that many children's vaccines contain egg protein can put a parent on guard. The fear is that the child could experience an allergic reaction to the vaccine, from mild reactions like fever and discomfort, to more severe reactions like anaphylaxis.

Commonly-given vaccines which contain proteins related to eggs are the influenza (flu) vaccine and the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine. Some other vaccines which are not routinely given are immunizations for typhoid and yellow fever.

Small amounts of egg protein are used in the flu vaccine. It is considered to be safe for children with mild egg allergy. In those patients, the flu vaccine can be given via a two step approach. Either giving 10% of the vaccine first followed by the other 90% or in two divided doses monitored under the watchful eye of an allergist.

The MMR vaccine contains a type of cultured cells which generally would not cause an egg allergy reaction. It's always a good idea to monitor any child with an egg allergy when being immunized, nevertheless the American Academy of Pediatrics gives its general endorsement for children with egg allergies to have the MMR vaccine.

In specific situations, for instance when traveling to parts of Central America, South America and parts of Africa, immunization against yellow fever should be considered. However it can be hazardous to anyone with an egg allergy.

It can also cause adverse effects in some people who are allergic to eating chicken meat. When considered advisable, this vaccine can be given to people who are allergic to eggs in very small amounts over a period of time, under close supervision.


Egg allergy: Not a reason to avoid flu vaccine after all

Flu Shots OK for People With Egg Allergy

Vaccines and Food Allergy

Reviewed June 16, 2011
Edited by Alison Stanton

Visit Jody's website and blog at http://www.ncubator.ca and http://ncubator.ca/blogger

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.



Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Allergies Guide


Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!