Need help, i checked it with one doctor and she asked me have surgery so i am worried about it as i am not having any problem like breathing or swallowing, but my right lobe increased to size: 54.8x38.0x26.6 mm
after my USG with guided and FNAC test the report says "Smears show blood with follicular cells in clusters, sheets and in Microfollicular pattern. Focal hurthle cell change is seen. No collide is seen. Few Hemosiderophages are seen "
Diagnosis:-Compatible with adenomatious goitre with Hemorrage and Cystic change
Please guide me regarding this is surgery the only option left for this?
Thanks in advance !
All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.
Add a Comment5 Comments
Hi Maryann,December 7, 2014 - 8:24pm
Again thanks a lot for giving your valuable time and reply on my post,
i checked my reports with one Endocrynologist and he said the same thing as you have posted above i.e Watchful waiting or surgery both options are with me he said,
i just need to ask if ill go with these two benign tumors is there any possibility that they will be transformed into malignant ?
As doctor said there is no medicine available which can treat this condition , whether it will automatically shrink or you should have to go for the surgery.
As you have given me the 1st correct direction to have a 2nd opinion so i relying on you as i am very much worried about it but it is not giving me any pain or any other trouble , what should i do watchful waiting ? till when? and what shall be the thyroid test frequency if i ll go with it ?
And what percent chances are there that it will automatically shrink.?
Thanks for your help.
The decision to wait and watch or have surgery is your to make. I can only suggest you fully understand the options before making a decision.
The endocrinologist is an expert in this area of medicine and better able to tell you the chances of this goiter shrinking.
According to Geraldo Medeiros-Neto, M.D.. of the Thyroid Research Laboratory at University of São Paulo Medical School in Brazil, " ...there is only minimal risk from carcinoma in multinodular goiter."
If you choose watchful waiting, your physician will set up a schedule for repeat exams and diagnostic testing.
Regards,December 9, 2014 - 10:21am
Thank you Maryann, thanks alot for the reply, yes i will check this with another doctor if he also says the same then i have no other option left.December 4, 2014 - 8:14pm
Can you please tell me what are the complications after the surgical removal of one lobe?
And which one is the best out of minimally invasive or open surgery?
As i am considering it for the worst case.
Thanks in advance.
That is a wise decision and good questions to ask the surgeon, who has the expertise I do not.
Regards,December 5, 2014 - 10:15am
Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for asking for information about an adenomatous goiter.
An adenomatous goiter is a benign or non-cancerous enlargement of the thyroid gland.
Triiodothyronine (T3) is a thyroid hormone, which plays an important role in the body's control of metabolism. FT3 refers to the free or unbound portion of T3.
Thyroxine (T4 ) is the main hormone produced by the thyroid gland. FT4 refers to the free or unbound portion of T3.
Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) is produced by the pituitary gland. It tells the thyroid gland to make and release thyroid hormones into the blood.
Results can vary among laboratories and you should find the normal range listed on your lab result report.
Watchful waiting is the treatment of choice if the needle biopsy finding proves the goiter is benign.Your doctor may suggest simply watching your condition, which usually means having a physical exam and thyroid function tests at regular intervals.
Surgery is considered for people with large multinodular goiters, particularly when the goiters constrict airways, the esophagus or blood vessels. Nodules diagnosed as indeterminate or suspicious by a biopsy also need surgical removal, so they can be examined for signs of cancer.
Anonymous, if you are unsure about having the surgery, please consider getting the opinion of a second physician.
Regards,December 4, 2014 - 10:20am