Q: 

ASTYM System - Has Anyone Had This Type of Treatment?

By June 29, 2009 - 8:12pm

I just had my first ASTYM treatment and it was pretty intense and painful, has anyone else had this type of treatment? If so, did it work for you?
Thanks,
Ang

Anonymous

Had two treatments so far on tendonitis of upper bicep head. Yes the treatments hurt, but fantastic results so far... Very pleased with my therapist.

Anonymous

Wow - I am sorry for all these commenters painful experiences. I had plantar fasciitis so severe in one foot that I could not walk. This was following a complete hamstring rupture. My therapist explained what he was going to do, and why, and told me it may be painful and leave bruises. For me, it was never intolerable. After the very first treatment, I had no pain in my heal for 24 hours. After the fifth treatment I have not had any pain for one week so far. Everyone's pain tolerance is different, I know. Perhaps it depends on the skill.of the therapist? I am extremely happy with my treatment.

Anonymous

I had 14 astym treatments so painful I would sob on the treatment table. It left my foot bruised black and blue with the therapists believing hard scraping and digging was the way. Mri done AFTER ugh... my foot had rupture of plantar fascia area huge scar tissue. I finally said listen this can’t be right and refused mire treatments. Should have never done this without mri this treatment made me lame and 300x worse than when I started I had heel pain now I have collapsed arch and have trouble standing and walk with a limp as the pain is 24/7 throbbing and burning. Weekend online course seems to be training for a tool advertised as a medical panacea contra indications should be taught and this tool should have warning labels and never used in torn areas which means get an mri before letting anyone use this tool. Also mild bruising and not severe my pt was a doctor and yet I just knew u shouldn’t scrape bruised swollen tissue why did I let common sense go out the window because doctors were incompetent

Anonymous

I'm doing ASTYM for the second time, the first being four years ago, for IT band syndrome and iliopsoas tendonitis. Yes, it works, but yes, it hurts like a beast. I have one area near my knee that I can't tolerate, but am hoping that will get better. Do you take antiinflammatories? You should make a point of taking these, or other pain meds, about an hour, hour and a half before having therapy. (Retired orthopedic floor RN here).

Anonymous

Had my first Astym therapy treatment yesterday. It was extreme and painful. I seem to have alot of scar tissue as I just had a massive full thickness rotator cuff repair a month ago. Today I am experiencing pain, bruising, and alot of swelling in my neck and shoulder. Will keep icing! From other comments I feel confident that it will help with my mobility of my arm!

Anonymous

I've had 8 ASTYM treatments for plantar fasciitis. The treatments I call "12 minutes of torture" on lower leg and foot has given some relief, but not life changing. I think it's lowered the constant pain of 7-8/10 to intermittent pain of 5-6/10. Cortisone injections helped Left foot but not right. Dealing with this is hard, but I'll do 2-4 more ASTYM treatments to see if it lowers the pain any further.

I have had about 10. Extremely painful!!! It has helped my tendinitis in my Achilles but my planters fasciitis absolutely no help! It. Seems close to torture' glad I'm not the only one that feels that way

Anonymous

I have only had two treatment,but you hit the nail on the head it is indeed intense.Hopefully I'll see improvement with a few more treatments.

(reply to Anonymous)

Sorry, been a long while. How did your treatments go? I need my back treated again, but can not find an ASTYM Physical Therapist.

Anonymous

I work with an excellent PT who provides Astym therapy. It is very similar to the GRASTON technique, which has been around longer (Astym uses plastic tools, while Graston uses metal tools). I think it can be helpful for chronic tendinitis, however I believe the Astym company is just a scam--they focus on marketing and require a certification that costs $5000+ with only a weekend course of education. As a patient, I don't think it hurts to try the technique, however as a healthcare provider, I would be skeptical when certifying yourself.

Tags: