Facebook Pixel

Can anyone give me some advice or help regarding my problem and the doctors?

By September 6, 2010 - 3:24am
Rate This

I had a injury at work in 2007, I have suffered with pain in my lower groin for yr s now. My GP thinks it is a groin rupture that has gone to a level 3 now.The doctors at the hospital will not listen to me and think I am just imaging the pain and symptoms. My past medical history is a c-section, inguinal hernia, mini tummy tuck.
I worked at the local hospital as a physiotherapy assistant for 14 years, My manager did not look after me and I was made to work on the stroke unit where I had my injury.My symptoms are getting worse I cannot walk far, cannot do any sort of exercise,cannot lift any object or carry bags, walking up and down stairs is very painful I have to do it very slow. I am so depression I feel like banging my head up the wallls with the doctors at the hospital.

Add a Comment3 Comments

Hi Moonlisa

If your GP feels you have a groin rupture, I'm not sure why it matters what the other doctors think. Has the GP ordered imaging like an MRI or anything? Has the GP written a work note for you? I would imagine after that working diagnosis you would have imaging studies and then if appropriate, a referral to a general surgeon or for some sort of rehab.

I guess I'm not sure I totally understand your question. I apologize if I'm misunderstanding. Can you explain a little further and then we'll try to get you some resources?

September 6, 2010 - 6:50am
(reply to Cary Cook BSN RN)

sorry, if I have confused you.I have been sacked from my job due to many issues. I am back at college on a teacher training course.
My GP has referral me to a general surgery, he was the surgeon who fixed my hernia in 2002. I have had three years of dealing with a number of doctors at Selly Oak Hospital all of them just think I am imaging the pain etc. My previous medical history might help you understand. I had my son by c-section in 2000, after 6 months I developed pain in my R side with a distinct bulge underneath the scar. It was tender to touch. Two years I finally found out that I had a incision hernia which was repaired with mesh. Work did not help and put me to work in Neuroscience unit. The mesh did not take, so I was operated on again. In 2006 I had a tummy tuck with rectus tightened. Then I had the injury, Now I have a bigger bulge on my R side and it is very swollen, tender to touch I cannot walk without pain or walk up and down the stairs. The doctors at the hospital would like to inject me in the upper region of my stomach with steroids to stop the pain. My GP and I have refused due to the diagnosis being wrong . I just would like some feedback on how to approach these doctors who are not listening to me and really just want to get rid of me.

September 6, 2010 - 8:35am
(reply to moonlisa)

You don't need to apologize! Sometimes in this forum I don't quite get what is happening. It's me, not you.

So are you saying the general surgeon the GP referred you to is refusing to perform the surgery? Can you find another one? If your doctor has diagnosed you and referred you, I don't understand what difference it makes if a bunch of doctors at the hospital disagree. All that matters is your surgeon. If your surgeon will not do your surgery, find a different surgeon.

You could also file a complaint against the hospital's medical director and/or CEO. Are you in a very small town? Is there another hospital? Another surgical group? If there is a problem with that mesh, that often requires a revision surgery. If the surgeon is refusing to treat you for some reason, find another. Otherwise, you are forced into filing complaints which will not help your health situation.

Given the opportunity, I think I'd change hospitals altogether if it is possible.

September 7, 2010 - 6:27am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Can't Find Something?


Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.

ASK Moderation Guidelines

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!