Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

Can constant exposure to mold cause lung problems

By Anonymous August 14, 2017 - 6:29pm
Rate This

After not so much as a cold in 10 years, after moving into this apartment which has had repeated leaks from the upstairs apt (water tank burst, bathroom being flooded from upstairs, mold on air vents, under sink thick mold, now the hallway was flooded from upstairs and water marks on the ceiling in many places) within 4 months of living here I spent one week out of every month for a year in the hospital with bilateral plural effusions with no known cause. I had an extensive mechanical pluredisis on the right lung then a talc on the other. My life has ever been changed. I have no quality of life as my breathing is permanently changed. Could mold exposure have caused this?

Add a Comment1 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Hello Anon

Thank you for writing.

Mold can absolutely cause the symptoms you are having.

Molds can produce a multitude of unpleasantness. They can manufacture allergens, irritants and mycotoxins (substances that may be toxic).

Allergic reactions can result from touching mold or mold spores, or breathing it in.

Inhaling mold cells that are airborne, most commonly spores, is something we all do, both indoors and outdoors, more than you'd like to think.

For most people, this doesn't damage their health. But especially among people with asthma or allergies, they can pose a health risk.

Substances generated by molds can have the same effect as allergens on people sensitive to these allergy-causing substances. Most commonly, both mold spores and growing mold causes allergic reactions, either right away or after some time.

If you have a mold allergy, you may find yourself coughing, sneezing and wheezing. Your nose may run and your eyes may become red, and your skin may develop a rash or other irritation.

There are many possible allergic responses to mold. These can be symptoms similar to those of hay fever, including red eyes, runny nose, skin rash or dermatitis, and sneezing.

Eyes, nose, throat, lungs and skin can be irritated even among those who are not allergic to mold.

According to Medicinenet.com, the Institute of Medicine found in 2004 that being exposed to mold indoors was linked with coughs, wheezing and upper respiratory tract symptoms in people who were generally in good health.

A link was also seen between mold and hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which is similar to pneumonia.

An allergic reaction can occur when the immune system reacts to mold cells that have been breathed into the respiratory tract. The immune system's goal is to attack the mold in the same way it would go after a virus.

If you can move you should do so. You can also tested for mold exposure- talk to your doctor to know more.

August 15, 2017 - 5:31am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Allergies Guide


Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!