Can a woman resume her period after three years by a healthful change in diet?

By Anonymous February 5, 2017 - 4:27pm

I stopped having cycles about 38 months ago and have not been burdened by typical symptoms of menopause as others have. Seven months ago I started a plant-based vegan diet. I started exercising daily six months ago and have more strength and stamina than I have in years. At 51 years old, I feel very well physically and have noticed that my body is starting to behave more youthfully. I have had vaginally mucus over the past week as I did when I was fertile, I feel emotionally like I did when I had cycles. Many internet searches give warnings about disease if a woman resumes her menstruation. So, one, if my cycles resume how common is this? And, two, would there be a research study that may want to track my information? Thanks!

Welcome to EmpowHER. Thank you for sharing your experience with our community.

It is encouraging to hear that a change in lifestyle, exercise and vegan diet, have increased your stamina and revitalized your health.

However do not expect your menstrual cycle to resume, not after menopause. During perimenopause, your ovaries produce less estrogen and progesterone, which regulate the menstrual cycle. When they cease to make these hormones, your periods stop.

Vaginal bleeding after menopause is serious and can be indicative of uterine cancer.
Share your experience with your gynecologist who may know of any research studies.

Menopause Guide